Monday, March 11, 2013

I cook with BEER!



I recently obtained "The American Craft Beer Cookbook: 150 Recipes from Your Favorite Brewpubs and Breweries" by John Holl.  My boyfriend and I are big fans of microbrews and I recently discovered cooking with beer.  Okay, so I have one crock pot recipe where I throw some stout in a stew, but it's pretty amazing.  

Either way, I was excited to combine my love of food and my boyfriend's love of beer and my love of trying new recipes with this book!  

First thing, the introduction makes me want to go out to dinner with the author.  I refuse to give anything away, but trust me on this one...he gave a few suggestions on food and beer pairings and I have drank enough beers and eaten enough food to know...or guess...the combos sound yummy!  Although, I'm not a fan of IPA, but I bet it goes well with Thai food.  That's all I'll say.

Beer for breakfast?  BUT OF COURSE!  It isn't just for hungover college kids anymore.  There are actually coffee stouts that I may or may not have had at breakfast time...and I know of a bacon beer that may have been consumed by a friend of mine at breakfast a time or two.  It's very in, and highly recommended...especially for the sake of the first section of this yummy book!  A whole breakfast section.  

There are sandwiches and dinners, desserts and slow cooker recipes (my favorites).  Some are complicated and some are so simple it seems too simple.  Some even have suggested beer pairings on the page.  Throughout the book there are little facts and stories about beer around the country.  Go through and read the whole thing at once or wait until you get to that recipe and read that page then, it's up to you.  No matter how you decide to use this book, every beer lover must own it!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

IPA is awesome. Make me something with it.

Dee said...

Maybe I will, since you can't...this book is for the privileged only right now. Once it is published, you should add it to your collection, though.

John Holl said...

You're too kind and glad you enjoyed the early copy.
I had a lot of fun writing it and cooking my way through the recipes. There are quite a few that I regularly prepare, and I'm happy to say there really is something for everyone.
Cheers,
John

Dee said...

I am looking forward to drinking my way through your book "Massachusetts Breweries" that you co-authored with April Darcy too! Another one for the beer-lovers collection. CHEERS!